Initiative 4 – Family Strengthening
Family Strengthening – The building block of civilization.
The glory of sons is their fathers.
Envisioned Goal: Trinity seeks partners that can implement programs that will measurably strengthen the family in our community. Health begins at home. By positively and significantly impacting the percentage of nuclear families, many health-related problems could be addressed before they ever materialize. We seek creative proposals drawn from experience, other cities or innovative ideas that will measurably support and encourage healthy nuclear families by divorce avoidance, retention of fathers in the home, prevention of abuse, improved parenting skills, gang elimination, strengthening faith and family values, improved foster care and prenatal education.
Background: The number of children living in two-parent homes has fallen to 65% and continues to decline http://www.childtrendsdatabank.org/?q=node/231. Nearly 20 million children in America live in a single parent home (http://realtruth.org/articles/081203-005-family.html). The single parent home has become the norm in our society, but many key statistics on the outcomes of fatherless youth indicate that is it not the optimal environment for healthy children to develop (http://thefatherlessgeneration.wordpress.com/statistics/). Trinity is seeking projects that will strengthen the family unit and address root causes of broken homes.
Examples of Specific Initiatives:
- Abstinence education: One way to reduce the number of children in single or no parent homes is to reduce the incidence of pregnancy out of wedlock. Abstinence education is one preventive approach.
- Premarital counseling before marriage to insure a healthy start: A good start to any endeavor is a step toward positive and lasting results. Trinity seeks projects that are proven to be effective in other locations to encourage healthy marriages in our community.
- Parenting skills development: Parenting is an awesome responsibility for any first-time parent. Trinity seeks projects that are proven to be effective in other locations to teach and reinforce healthy parenting skills and to create parenting mentoring opportunities.
- Fatherhood: All too often it is the father who is absent from the home due to any of a host of reasons. Trinity seeks projects that are proven to be effective in other locations to encourage fatherhood and instill family leadership responsibility in the men of our community.
- Family financial counseling: As society transitions from currency to credit/debit cards and other means of exchange, many youth are entering adulthood with no concept of personal budgeting. Family discord can often be traced to financial and fidelity issues. Trinity seeks projects that are proven to be effective in other locations to teach wise financial management methods to families.
- Other ideas related to strengthening the family: The family unit is in jeopardy in our society due to many factors. Strong families undergird strong communities. We seek projects that have shown promise in other locations to implement for the benefit of our community.